Building code in breif
Allegany County Code of Public Local Law: Building Construction (Link to Chapter 255, Code of Public Local Law)
The following codes govern construction within Allegany County, Maryland. Reference The Maryland Building Performance Standards (MBPS 2007), as prescribed in COMAR §§ 05.02.07.01 thru.09.
- The 2006 International Building Code
- The 2006 International Residential Code for the governance of one and two family dwellings and appurtenances.
- The National Fire Protection Association Standard # 70 - The National Electric Code. (State Fire Prevention Code 2020 [August 10]
- The Allegany County Plumbing Code - §415 Allegany County Code of Public Local Law.
- The Floodplain Management Regulations of Allegany County - §325 Allegany County Code of Public Local Law.
- The Maryland Accessibility Code as set forth in COMAR 05.02.02, and the Allegany County Building Code for the Handicapped which shall govern when in conflict.
- The NFPA 13D Installation of Sprinkler Systems in One & Two Family Dwellings and Manufactured Homes
For a chart of the latest guidance to adopted Codes, click here
Maryland amendments to 2006 International Residential Code (2007)
- R310.1: Emergency escape and rescue required. Every sleeping room shall have at least one openable emergency escape and rescue window or exterior door opening for emergency escape and rescue.
- R3188.8.131.52. Risers Height. The maximum riser height shall be 8-1/4 inches (210 mm)
- R3184.108.40.206. Tread Depth. The minimum tread depth shall be 9 inches (299 mm).
- 12-24, 25-32, & 33-42: Related to mechanical, plumbing and electrical systems are not within the scope of MBPS. State law governing these areas are set forth in Business Regulation Article, § 9A-205; the Business Occupations and Professions Article, Title 12, Annotated Code of Maryland; and the National Electric Code (NEC) as enforced by the State Fire Marshal pursuant to the provision of the Public Safety Article, Title 12, Subtitle 6, Annotated Code of Maryland, respectively.
Allegany County amendments to 2006 International Residential Code (2007)
- TABLE R301.2(1): Climatic and Geographic Design Criteria.
- TABLE R301.5.: All exterior decks require a 60 lb/sf minimum uniformly distributed live load design.
Inspection is required of the following work noted in the table below, where applicable. The number of field inspections necessary to generate a satisfactory report is left to the discretion of the inspection agency of record. At a minimum, written reports are required at the conclusion of the phases of work as noted in grayed fields:
Note: "Special Inspections" may be required as ordered by the design consultant of record.
One set of approved construction drawings shall remain at the job site and accessible for review at all times. All required inspection reports shall be submitted to the Office of Building Safety prior to the request for the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy. (Example)
All projects are subject to the Building Code of Allegany County. Generally, the following projects are subject to the building permit process:
- All new principal structures
- All one & two family residential additions and accessory structures >600 sf in floor area
The building permit process consists of: (1) application & plan submittal; (2) issuance of a building permit; (3) inspections/reports; and the (4) issuance of a certificate of occupancy